Powered by Blogger.

A Day In the Life of a Software Engineer Blogger

    Most of the authors of blogging tips are sharing their day to day activities and here is the schedule I follow on a day to day basis as a Software Engineer. I have been in love with computers since early 1994 though much of my Internet life began much later in the late 90s.
    I trained to become a Software Professional in 1999 and have over 7 years of experience building and deploying applications for the Internet platform. I work with Java, J2EE, PHP, XML, XSL and lots more (My Resume is actually made up of 7 pages LOL). Just in short I am a Internet Data Mining Expert :-)
    10:00 AM to 11:15 AM
    I am not much of a early riser and prefer to sleep a bit late in the morning. I am more of a late to bed and late to rise kind of person. I usually get up around 10 and go on with the usual rituals by around 10.30 I leave the house for office and reach there by 11:15 AM.
    While traveling to office I read fiction novels to keep my reading habit satisfied (I finish at least one novel every 2-3 weeks).
    11:15 AM to 12 PM
    This is the time I usually use to read emails and news papers online. Other than that I skim through my feed reader and stop to read all the interesting content taking notes for my future articles on the way.
    I actually carry my notebook wherever I go since I like to take notes about interesting things which I can write about later.
    12:00 PM to 12:15 PM
    This is the period I go through all the things that I have to do and create a TODO list prioritizing each of the things as high, medium and low priority. I usually add this list to the backlog from yesterday and know first hand on what things I have to work for the rest of the day.
    12:15 PM to 7:00 PM
    Well this is the period in which I do the most of the work going through 1000s and 1000s of lines of code or writing 1000s of my own, fixing bugs, going through code submitted to me by my team, replying to emails from colleagues, helping others with their code and more.
    To be frank it’s the time where I rarely look at anything else other than the computer. But my first love is computers and I really don’t mind it as I love the challenges that my profession provides me with.
    7:00 PM to 8:00 PM
    Travel back to home while once again satisfying the reading habit. Well to be quite frank I get quite edgy sitting idle and need to always do something or the other and reading is the perfect ploy for my idleness.
    8:00 PM to 9:30PM
    This is the time I do most of my freelance blog posts and personal blog posts. If I have any ideas I try to create posts for the next day during this time. I write for more than one blogs so I tend to fit most of the posts in this time.
    You may say that I am giving much lesser time to blogging but I more than make up for it during weekends and holidays where most of my time is spent in creating quality posts for my readers.
    10:00 PM to 12:30 PM
    During this period I work on my freelance software projects I take up for clients. I usually have a huge load of work to keep me busy for a month in advance but when I have spare time on hand I work on some of my WordPress plugin ideas. I usually spend around 10 hours in a week during busy periods working on WordPress plugins.
    I have quite a few of them which are incomplete and yet to be released, that said the bulk of the time is taken up by freelance software projects which I take up. Well so as you see my work does not end where it ends it just gets into a different mode.
    12:30 AM to 2:30 AM
    This is the time I spend chatting with family and other loved ones, since I live in US and they in India this is the best time we get to talk since it’s day time there.
    I also spend some time in between to read the news papers online again (I read about 8 newspapers online) and catch up on the feed reader once again before going to bed.
    Summarizing
    Due to lack of personal blog posting time during the weekdays I tend to write lots of blog posts during the weekends and holidays. I usually try to post on all the ideas from my notes then as I have more time on hand and can work much more peacefully on the blog posts.
    What I like about Software Engineering?
    Well the best part of the job is the money I make out of it but rather than that I like the challenges about solving problems for people through software. My job provides me with ample amount of challenges that keep me satisfied with my work.
    The day these challenges subside I will start looking at another avenue :-) so for me it’s the satisfaction in what I do is what matters most.
    Should You take up Software Programming?
    Software Programming is not hard to learn but hard to do, you need to have your concepts right once that’s there you will definitely enjoy doing software. There are many different programming platforms which you can choose from, most of them differ only in syntax whereas the concepts remain the same.
    Other than that it’s not a stressful job if you learn to prioritize your work and divide them into smaller tasks. I have been doing this for last 3-4 years and have never felt much stress on the job. Yes you will come across quite a few pressure cooker situations where you will have to work on tight schedules which will drain you out, but that is a part of any profession you will choose.
    I would definitely advise you to take up Software Programming.
    Hey you can summarize you day and post it in the comments too, I would love to know what your day is like :-) .Source URL: http://bollywoodsexygirls2012.blogspot.com/2010/09/day-in-life-of-software-engineer.html
    Visit hot south girls pictures for daily updated images of art collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive