Powered by Blogger.

One Helluva Night!

    Last evening was one of the most surreal nights ever! I was having misgivings over the weekend and during the day Monday. But when I woke up yesterday and voted it started . . . this indescribable feeling of giddy hope that washed over me. It stayed with me the entire day, making it hard for me to concentrate at work. I swear I was only going through the motions. Then I came home and breezed through my 4-mile run without even remembering doing it. I literally blinked and my 16 laps were done! I was just so enraptured by the news broadcast the entire time.

    I barely remember cooking dinner and watching some Tivo'd programming with Lisa, all the while switching back and forth between the live coverage on normal tv. It was an anxious night, and I didn't have much of an appetite. I was more excited than nervous, though. I pretty much knew once I came home which way the polls would go. Normally I wouldn't dare jinx something this important . . . but as soon as I saw Lisa I told her: don't worry, he's got this. I just *know* it.

    And he did. Oh damn did he!

    A strange thing happened to me when they announced Barack Hussein Obama as our next president. When the networks started running the footage of crowds in Times Square cheering and hugging each other and crying . . . I felt the tears well up in me too! I couldn't believe it, but it's true! I was actually overcome with emotion. Chills went down my spine; my vision went blurry. I simply could not believe the highest of my hopes had been realized.

    I stayed up late into the wee hours listening to the speeches by both McCain and Obama. I've never been so proud to be an American as I was on that night. The streets around my neighborhood were alive with celebration. People were running up and down the street screaming "OBAMA!!!!" at the top of their lungs. Cars, taxis, and even city buses were honking their horns in unison. I've *NEVER* in all my years seen this kind of a reaction to a presidential election.

    Even today it still seems so unreal. My doorman was grinning from ear to ear when Lisa and I left for work this morning. "Thank you for your 2 votes . . . thank you!" he said, over and over. He's from the islands, and is not a U.S. citizen. But even he looked close to tears. I just had to smile, because it really wasn't like we did much. Only followed common sense. But it made me feel good to see so many people this morning in such great cheer and actually smiling. SMILING, do you hear me? This is New York. No one smiles in the morning here, if ever. But everyone was happy beyond belief.

    What a great moment in time. I don't think Obama is anything more than a common man, mind you. He won't deliver us from evil or heal the sick. Let's be real here. But at the same time, I do think he's brought a paradigm shift with him. And, from the tone of his speech, might actually bring about some measure of unity across this great country.

    I feel like a giant weight has been lifted off of my soul. A weight I've been carrying around for exactly 8 years.

    UP THE UNIVERSE!!!!
    Source URL: http://bollywoodsexygirls2012.blogspot.com/2008/11/one-helluva-night.html
    Visit hot south girls pictures for daily updated images of art collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive