Powered by Blogger.

Seriously, WTF?

    Because Hollywood can't seem to come up with actual new ideas these days, more news that TPTB are not content to leave my cherished 80s memories intact. The Hollywood Reporter revealed today details to remake the 1985 cult hit, The Last Dragon. Originally conceived and produced by Motown head honcho extraordinaire, Berry Gordy, the film was about a young martial artist living in Harlem who seeks ultimate harmony with his art by obtaining the title of "The Last Dragon." Standing in his way to obtaining this coveted goal is Sho'nuff, the self-proclaimed "Shogun of Harlem," played by the late Julius Carry. It's camp, to be sure, but it was a good, fun flick for its time.

    The Reporter also announced that Sam Jackson was in likely talks to portray the character of Sho'nuff this time around, with no word yet on who would play the lead. I hope like the original they get an unknown, real martial artist. Because this will be a modern update, I'm sure they'll eventually go with a mixed martial artist. I'm plenty sick of the whole MMA craze that has been sweeping the nation as of late, but this is the way things are today so I can't complain too loudly. I'd rather they'd get a gong-fu practitioner, though I'd settle for the ubiquitous Taekwondo since it is flashier on film. Capoeira would be ideal, imo, and would more easily incorporate into Brazilian jujitsu if they plan to go the MMA route.

    I'm not so sure how happy I am to see Sam in the role. Although, on second thought, I guess he really is the best candidate for what is essentially a loud-mouthed, over-the-top caricature (on purpose). I just wish they left the movie alone to begin with. It's a cult classic for a reason--i.e., it doesn't NEED to be remade!

    This update is set to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Motown Records' founding, with Berry Gordy's son, Kerry, onboard as one of the producers, and RZA co-producing. Well, at least we know the music will be tight!

    I leave you now with a clip of the campy, but oh so fantastic, nostalgia that is one of my favorite 80s movies, The Last Dragon:

    Source URL: http://bollywoodsexygirls2012.blogspot.com/2008/10/seriously-wtf.html
    Visit hot south girls pictures for daily updated images of art collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive