Powered by Blogger.

This Wouldn't Happen To A New Yorker

    I was reading last month's issue of Locus Magazine (a SF semi-pro mag popular with trade professionals), and it mentioned Clarion West's 25th anniversary session this summer. Clarion West is a SF writing workshop I dream of attending some day, although it will probably never happen. I can't afford to take six weeks off from work and fly to Seattle, although that would be a blast. The workshop's proximity to the Sci-Fi Hall of Fame and various SF-related shindigs that go down in the city around the same time make it quite the learning experience for up-and-coming writers in the field.

    There's also Clarion in San Diego, another one I would love to go to but will never make it there due to the long distance and cost. You West Coast people have an unfair advantage when it comes to all the cool sci-fi conventions and/or workshops within easy driving distance. Especially those of you in SoCal. Boo!!!!

    Anyway, I was reading the article when I got to the part where it said someone had gotten into the dorm during class and stole 4 of the students' laptops. That truly sucks. Luckily--and this only goes to show you the awesomeness of the close-knit SF community on a whole--a bunch of writers and instructors passed word of the theft along the network and were able to gather up enough donations to completely replace the stolen laptops, with the leftover funds going to the workshop. Cory Doctorow, one of the guest writers in attendance, even donated his entire instructor's fee to the cause. Wow!

    Still, it got me to thinking back to my college days in a quaint little village in rural Vermont. And how many of the students would leave their dorm rooms unlocked. Except for me, the kid from the South Bronx who knew better. I don't care if I'm shacking up in the Dalai Lama's temple -- no matter where this city kid goes, it's not without locking up EVERYTHING I own. Twice!

    I never understood people who are so naive to believe that no one will steal your stuff when you're not looking. Not locking your door is just asking for trouble, as far as city folk are concerned.Source URL: http://bollywoodsexygirls2012.blogspot.com/2008/10/this-wouldn-happen-to-new-yorker.html
    Visit hot south girls pictures for daily updated images of art collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive