Powered by Blogger.

Sometimes, Life Slaps You In The Face With A Fistful Of Kismet

    Well, well, things have certainly turned interesting.

    As many of you know, I took the plunge over 2 years ago to seriously go after my dream of becoming a published SF writer. I knew back then that the road would be long, treacherous, and full of tears. I didn't expect to become "good" at it overnight, and knew that it would take me many years of rejections and failed drafts before the day would come when I could start making sales that count.

    Well, today is not exactly that day . . . but it's a damn good day for me nonetheless! I've been waiting for the right time to bring it up, but since we're almost in the month of February, I figure now's a good a time as any to mention the news.

    No, I didn't publish a novel. Baby steps, people. Baby steps. But I did make my very first sale of a short story! It happened last year, actually, back in April. I sold the short story "Enemy of My Enemy" to Afterburn SF, an e-zine publishing "high octane" sci-fi, fantasy, and horror stories. Due to a serious backlog of submissions at the time, I was told that I had just made it before the doors were closed on new submissions for the year. And that, because of the surplus, my story would not appear until almost a year later.

    Feb. 27th will be the day it appears online. I remember the heady feeling at the time almost a year ago. I was so giddy I didn't know what to do with myself. But I made a promise to myself: that I would spend the next year writing even more stories and not letting the year 2009 be a solitary affair for published works.

    And so, fast-forward to this morning. Paul Hughes over at Silverthought e-mailed me to say that another one of my stories, "Khan Tengri," was accepted for publication on ST's online site for next month. Talk about a wake up call in the morning! I was floored, and instantly wrote back saying that I would be thrilled to have the story appear in his publication. Silverthought is an excellent quality Speculative Fiction e-zine, with a pretty active forum community to boot. I couldn't be happier to have my piece appear there!

    But how ironic is that? Two stories that I wrote back to back 2 years ago and only started submitting 10 months ago, would not only get purchased by two separate publications, but appear in the same month no less! Sometimes I can't believe my fortune.

    So, looks like I was able to keep my promise after all. And don't think I'm sitting on my laurels soaking it all up. Nosiree! I'm just as determined to write even more now and publish more tales in the coming year. I have a few promising stories making the rounds as we speak. So, we shall see.

    I will of course keep everyone updated on this site with links to the stories when they appear next month. In the meantime I'm going to continue what I've been doing: writing as many short stories as I can churn out, and trying to improve with each one. I still have a LONG ways to go, and so much more to learn.

    Special thanks to all my crit group friends at Spec Fiction Fledglings, who workshopped both stories for me and gave me the valuable feedback to make them better. Couldn't have done it without ya'll!Source URL: http://bollywoodsexygirls2012.blogspot.com/2009/01/sometimes-life-slaps-you-in-face-with.html
    Visit hot south girls pictures for daily updated images of art collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive