Powered by Blogger.

Food For Thought . . .

    Allow me to wax philosophical for a moment here . . .

    Do your memories truly make you who you are?

    I always used to say: yes! Everything that you are in life is due to the memories you've had since birth. What you are today is shaped by the experiences of your past.

    Yet on the morning commute I started to wonder: are memories just window dressing for the core essence that is you? In other words, would your personality really alter so much if your memories were stripped bare and replaced with others?

    There is no easy answer to this. If baby me were taken from this world and plopped on an alien planet, how much would the grownup alien me really differ from the Earth me of today?

    Sure, due to a difference of experiences, I would certainly have altered views and attitudes on the universe, no doubt. But would I go from being a mild-mannered, semi-pacifistic New Yorker to a raging, uncontrollably murdering psychopath? Perhaps not. More importantly, would those who love me recognize the alien David as possessing the same core essence as the Earth me?

    Religious people and spiritualists would believe so. But I still lean more towards my initial view. Or perhaps it's a little of both? Our memories *are* us, but we are not our memories. At least, not completely. If you were to perfectly record all of my life memories and transfer them, say, to an empty pod-person clone, would that clone suddenly be me?

    Seems unlikely, no?

    There might be something more to us than just the sum total of our memories . . .Source URL: http://bollywoodsexygirls2012.blogspot.com/2008/12/food-for-thought.html
    Visit hot south girls pictures for daily updated images of art collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive