Powered by Blogger.

The Good Month Continues . . . Then Dies.

    On the heels of the news about me having two short stories published in one month, I was also told by my boss that I was being promoted to supervisor. The announcement was officially made this morning, but I knew about it for 3 weeks now. I just couldn't tell anyone about it except for Lisa and some close friends. So, yeah, it's been one of those months of unbridled good news for me.

    That is, until I got rejected by three different outlets on three different short stories all within a general 3-day period of time last week. Ouch! Luckily for me, I've been dealing with rejections for going on a year now since seriously sending my stories out, so I've actually developed a thick skin about the whole ordeal. But to get 3 of them back-to-back and all at once was a bit tough to swallow even for me. Usually the feedback I get is helpful and, in my own way, I'm able to see the validity of the suggestions I receive back from editors. But for this one story, I just had to disagree completely. I'm not going into the details here because I plan to send the same story out to other outlets, but suffice to say that the nit was a very minor one and completely ignores a much larger issue that occurs with the ending twist to the story. The fact that the reader mentions the smaller nit and ignores the larger picture item at the end of the story that actually resolves the nit . . . makes me think that the reader didn't read my story all the way through.

    Which is fine. This is how the business works. But whereas I would normally incorporate the comments from a rejection and make some edits before sending the same story out again, this time I'm going to just send it out as is. If I get a similar crit back this time (doubtful), then I'll stop to re-examine the story and see what I can change. I'm not worried, though. Unlike others I've written, I really do think this particular story is darn good. It's not the "Hatchling" story I just finished writing, though. That one is still my best story to date, IMHO. This other one was written back in September and is more of a light-hearted sci-fi parody. That being said, I'm finding it difficult to pick exactly the right market to send it to. On the plus side, it's been quite a learning experience for me discovering new market sources on the web to help me narrow down an appropriate outlet, including those overseas.

    So, on the agenda this week:

    1) Send out 2 of the 3 rejected stories to new outlets;
    2) Put the 3rd rejected story on ice for now. It's been edited to hell and back again, and I just can't seem to sell it. Which is sad because that was one of my good ones (to me, at least).
    3) Start the new story I've been working on in my head for the last couple of weeks.

    The only bad thing about no. 3 on that list is that, as of this morning, I just got an idea for a quick and really exciting new short that has been overriding all other thoughts since I've been at my desk. I want nothing more than to just lock myself away and work on this, but I don't want to abandon the story I'm *supposed* to be writing this weekend.

    Seeing as how I don't think this exciting new new story will hold up to being put on the back burner for a week or two--whereas the other one has been slowly building up in my mind--I think I'll put off the latter to work on the former. It's going to be a quick, short little number I can feel. So maybe I can bat it out in one go (unlikely, given my hectic schedule this month) and start the other one next week?

    We shall see . . .Source URL: http://bollywoodsexygirls2012.blogspot.com/2009/02/good-month-continues-then-dies.html
    Visit hot south girls pictures for daily updated images of art collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive